Tuesday, September 06, 2005

the density of

I didn't mean to leave you all hanging like that. The busy weekend got the better of me and I didn't come to post. Sorry.

And a special sorry to Emily for any nasty smells she had to endure on my behalf :)

And on to today's post.

I'm shocked (though you would think I would be used to it by now) by how dense some people can be. And I have just the example to share.

Just now I was in the kitchen, fixing my Easy Mac for lunch. A co-worker that I know, made a comment about my lunch and I responded. No harm there.

But a second co-worker, one neither of us is acquainted with, piped in a comment about Easy Mac. Again, no harm done.

First co-worker leaves and second co-workers launches into a long comment about her daughter's friend in college. I'm trying to listen but I'm not really interested because, as I said, I don't know this person, nor her daughter nor her daughter's friend.

A third co-worker comes in, one I do know and one I have a question for. Since the second woman has now stopped talking, and she is not between me and the third person, I say hello and prepare to ask him a question.

I don't get more than hello out before second co-worker starts talking again. Third co-worker exits without me getting to ask him the question and this woman is still talking. I had tried to avoid her, not respond to her and even engage in another conversation in an attempt to let her know that I wasn't interested, but she didn't get the drift. She just wasn't getting that a) I didn't care and b) that I didn't care.

Honestly, I wish being honest didn't get me in so much trouble. If I could get away with it, I would have smiled, said good-by and walked away from this person. But that gets me in trouble so I didn't. But I'll be sure to avoid this person in the hall, the bathroom and the kitchen from here on out. Yes, this means I need to hide under my desk from now till all eternity, but if I can escape such people it may just be worth it.

1 comment:

The Girl with a Green Hat said...

Do you know how much I appreciate your telling of this story? I have an anoying person story, that I will post later this week. I seriously believe she was only trying to ruin my week! Why do these people exist? Please don't tell me it is to make us grow some more, cause I'm sick of growing!